It seems some photographs are fetching prices we’re used to seeing for famous works of art. As with art, the image can be subjective and the appeal in the eyes of the viewer. But would you be willing to hand over millions of dollars to own one of these photographs? Following is a list of the 10 most expensive photographs ever sold.
10) Billy the Kid, photographer unknown (1880). Sold for $2.3 million.
9) Untitled #153, by Cindy Sherman (1985). Sold for $2.7 million.
8) The Pond/Moonlight, by Edward Steichen (1904). Sold for $2.9 million.
7) Los Angeles, by Andreas Gursky (1998). Sold for $2.9 million.
6) 99 Cent II, Diptychon, by Andreas Gursky (2001). Sold for $3.3 million.
5) Untitled (Cowboy), by Richard Prince (2001-02). Sold for $3.4 million.
4) Dead Troops Talk, by Jeff Wall (1992). Sold for $3.7 million.
3) For Her Majesty, by Gilbert & George (1973). Sold for $3.7 million.
2) Untitled #96, by Cindy Sherman (1981). Sold for $3.9 million.
1) Rhein II, by Andreas Gursky (1999). Sold for $4.3 million.